Certificate Programs - Health Information Privacy and Security Certificate
Also consider one of our minors or certificates in Allied Health. For example, you could earn a certificate in health information privacy and security.
Health and Information Privacy and Security Certificate Program
HIIM Certificate Programs
Description of Ceritification
Note: All courses are not offered each semester.
The Health Information Privacy and Security Certificate Program will assist the student
learn skills needed to apply the principles of privacy and security of data in the
health care industry.
Upon completion of the certificate program, the student will be able to:
• Demonstrate a choice to focus and advance by specializing in the privacy and security dimensions of health care
• Denote competence in designing, implementing, and administering comprehensive privacy and security protection programs in all types of health care organizations
• Monitor an organization’s networks for security breaches and investigate a violation when one occurs
• Install and use software, such as firewalls and data encryption programs, to protect sensitive information
• Prepare reports that document security breaches and the extent of the damage caused by the breaches
• Research the latest IT security trends
• Help plan and carry out an organization’s way of handling security
• Develop security standards and best practices for the organization
• Recommend security enhancements to management or senior IT staff
• Help computer users when they need to install or learn about new security products and procedures
Prior to beginning the curriculum, students must provide official proof that the following
course has been satisfactorily completed:
CGS 2060CE Computer Literacy I
Students who successfully complete the courses listed below with a C or better are
qualified to receive the Health Information Privacy and Security Certificate. Students
interested in receiving the Certificate must submit an application upon completion
of the required coursework.
HIM 3016 Legal Aspects of Health Information Management (3 hours)
HIM 4465 Healthcare Informatics (3 hours)
HIM 4656 Health Information Systems (3 hours)
HIM 4426 Health Information Privacy and Security
CIS 4360 Introduction to Computer Security (3 hours)